Thursday, March 1, 2007

Caduet--for high blood pressure and cholesterol

Caduet is a dual anti hypertension/cholesterol medicine combined into one pill. It's generic name(s) are amlodipine and atorvastatin or Norvasc/lipitor.

Atorvastatin is a statin drug, [see below post] as you remember blocks the production of cholesterol by inhibiting a specific enzyme.
Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker; ( calcium is very important in the contraction of muscles, therefore if the channels [specific areas of cells that the calcium ions use to enter the cell] are blocked, the muscle cell cannot contract and thus relaxes. This in turn allows unrestricted blood flow and lowers blood pressure.

2 comments:

Lily said...

I’ve seen ads on TV for Caduet. It has two ingredients. One is Amlodipine and the other is Atorvastatin. With my RxDrugCard I can get 30 tablets of Amlodipine for $9 and 30 tablets of Simvastatin for $9. I’ll bet they are charging more than $18 for this new drug! Don’t pressure your doctor into giving you something just because it’s new. Do your homework. Find a drug card like I did at www.rxdrugcard.com. I think that RxDrugCard.com is the best drug card available for prescription discounts.

Jack said...

My neighbor told me about RxDrugCard. He saves $400 a month. Of course he has had a heart attack and uses lots of meds. But anyone can look on the website www.rxdrugcard.com and see the discounted prices for their prescriptions.