Thursday, March 1, 2007

Welcome! What is this site about?

As everyone knows, there are a ton of drug advertisements in just about any media source. And I have noticed, many (and more everyday) don't even bother to reveal what the drug is even prescribed for----The "Purple Pill" comes to mind. And I love the ads that say "Ask your Doctor if XXXX is right for you". I like to joke and reword it for some of the more obscure ads for drugs like chemotherapy: Ask your Dr. if knee replacement is right for you--LOL.

So my intent here is to try to explain what the ad is actually trying to sell and a brief summary of the drug, its classification and how it generally works [mechanism of action]; but in a way that non-scientifically trained people can understand.

So what about me? I am a research scientist currently working full time in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry. I have laboratory research experience in both academia 13 years and biotech 4 years. My research topics have include diverse fields as immunology, cancer, biochemistry and cell biology and my favorite--pharmacology. So let's get the ball rolling and learn something today!

No comments: